Your Local Contractor for ADU Additions
WHAT IS AN ADU ADDITION?
And “ADU Addition” is basically when you build a room addition onto your existing house creating separate living space, building an accessory dwelling unit for another person or family to live in. Neither family would have direct access to the others unit from within their residence.
A few things go know about building an ADU Addition:
- It is attached to your primary house or garage and may share the same utilities.
- You can choose to use all-electric appliances, or add gas also.
- You may have to upsize your main sewer line to a 4″ if your existing house has 3 toilets already.
- You will need a separate heating and air conditioning system (most people use the mini-split heat pumps)
- One of the reasons why you would want to do an addition on your home to use as and ADU is that some homes don’t have enough yard space to build a detached ADU. Another reason is to maintain the existing yard space, or you might have a large pool in the way of your ADU. There are many ways to accomplish building an accessory dwelling unit whether it’s an attached or detached ADU, a garage converion or converting existing living space.